Skip to main content

Step It Up!


Happy Monday, everyone! Emily here today with a trio of cards for you. (I can't seem to make one card anymore.... It's a problem. For serious.) I thought I'd do something a little different this week. Last week, I was playing with my ink blending in conjunction with this beautiful Hand Drawn Snowflake background from Hero Arts, and I thought to myself that maybe I could do a "stepped up" tutorial: a fairly simple, easily mass produced card, then "step it up" once with some ink blending for a somewhat-easily mass produced card, and then for that really important person in your life, "step it up" even further with an ink blended shaker card. The unifying features of these cards are that they all feature the same heat embossed background stamp and the Stag Trio dies from Wplus9.

First: the simplest card of the three. This one would be super easy to mass-produce. I think this simple ivory-gold-black color scheme is just so classy, but the heat embossing of both the sentiment and the background really give it a handmade touch. First, a panel of ivory card stock cut to 3 3/4x5 inches is heat embossed in gold with that beautiful background. I then cut a mat using some glossy black card stock to 4x5 1/4 inches. I mounted the stag bust on the panel, then heat embossed the Wplus9 sentiment in black on a strip of vellum, which I wrapped around the snowflake and black panels, then adhered in the back to hide my scor-tape. I then adhered the whole thing to an ivory card base, and called it good. Easy peasy, flat as a pancake to make for quick and easy mailing, but definitely elegant.


Second: let's take it up a notch! (Did anybody else hear Emeril's voice when they read that?) I used the same background stamp, heat embossed in Silver Pearl this time on watercolor card stock. Instead of letting the simple beauty of the embossed images create a subtle background, I decided to bring them out even further with some Distress Ink blending for an emboss-resist technique. I blended three colors that I wouldn't normally think of for holiday cards: Festive Berries, Picked Raspberry, and Abandoned Coral. I know they aren't really wintery or even cool colors to coordinate with the "cool" snow falling in the background, but I think when paired with the leaping black stag silhouette, the colors are really so festive and exciting. (I was thinking how much I would LOVE a Christmas tree decorated in these colors!) You can't really tell, but I sprayed a bit of Tsukineko Shimmer spray over the top after the panel had dried just to add even more sparkle. Again, I heat embossed the sentiment on the strip of vellum, this time using silver embossing powder, and wrapped the strip around the back of the blended panel to hide the adhesive. A few black sequins helped to add balance, and I adhered the whole panel to a white card base.


Third: for the final, most involved and doubly "stepped up" card: a shaker! Now, anybody who has done a shaker before knows that they can be somewhat finicky working with all of that sticky foam tape, and die cuts, and sequins, and... it can just be a mess. That's why I feel like shakers only go to the people who really "get" cardmaking, the ones who appreciate what we do and don't just toss the card in the trash. This card definitely fits that bill. Again, I began by heat embossing a panel of watercolor card stock with that gorgeous background stamp, this time with silver embossing powder. I then took Mermaid Lagoon, Dusty Concord, and Picked Raspberries inks and blended them into the background. I put the pink and turquoise inks down first (as the reds and blues), then used the Dusty Concord ink to blend between so as to get a fairly natural blend between these colors. I have a thing for bokeh backgrounds, and I think this color combo looks like very holiday-ish bokeh, like lights on a Christmas tree, but without the crazy amount of blending and stamping that I've had to do in the past to achieve such a look. I took that blended panel and glued the black stag silhouette down, then threw in a bunch of sequins: Pansy and Deep Fuchsia, as well as some snowflakes and turquoise sequins from my stash. I wrapped the vellum sentiment strip over the top of my purple window panel, then adhered it to the ink blended card with foam tape. Super festive, special, and fun, no?

If you're still with me at the end of this novel, I appreciate it, and I hope you enjoyed my "step it up" tutorial!

Comments

  1. Wow Emily, these are stunning, don't know which one is my favorite, thanks for the detailed explanation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel