Skip to main content

Masculine card with Viktor the Viking


Hi guys!

Erica back on the BRI blog today, with a new-to-me stamp and a I-need-more-practice medium: coloured pencils!

This cute little... oops, I mean, strong and brawny Viking stamp from MFT Stamps, which I have nicknamed Viktor) has been sitting in my stash for a while. This last weekend he was banging on and on about wanting to be put to use (or that might have been all in my imagination... 🤪) so I thought why not? As usual, I also decided to make things dramatic by using a medium I’m really not very confident with...! The key thing with coloured pencils is patience, which I have no problem admitting I’m not possessing a huge amount of so things were due to be interesting, shall we say?? LOL!

Anyway, I got out some Strathmore Bristol Smooth Surface pencil card stock (this I purchased by mistake, thinking it was Bristol Vellum. What a happy accident!) and I stamped up the brawny, not cute, Viking with MFT Grout Gray hybrid ink. The pencils I used are the Polochromos and whilst I didn’t note down each and every one I used, because I did end up using a lot of them, I used almost all of the browns and ochre pens to create texture and shading.



In all honesty, it did take me two days to colour this one tiny image BUT don’t let that fact put you off from trying coloured pencil if you haven’t already. I have not been very well over the weekend so that was a factor too. In this case it might have been a good thing that I had to take frequent breaks as it helps you come back with fresh eyes and both appreciate the progress as well as notice mistakes/things that need correcting. I’ve not done a lot of colouring with pencils and all of my previous tries have involved flowers, not skin, fabric and wood textures.

This Viking have been given Swedish colours as yours truly hail from the fair lands of Sweden and quite possibly possess some Viking blood herself (I’ve been known to both swim in ice lakes and roll in the snow naked. For some context, there was also a hot sauna involved! These days I’m more of a sandy and sunny beach kind of gal) I have also added some enamel dots and gem stones to his belt, shield and helmet as those were often decorated in the olden days. The ones I used I found in my box of enamel dots so I’m not sure exactly where they are from but Vanessa has an exhilarating selection in the shop! So easy to go nuts! 😍



To finish the card off, I decided to use a sketch from MFT Stamps (find link here) so I cut out a stitched circle in a panel of light grey card stock. At first I thought I’d leave it quite CAS, but as usual my inner ‘craft drama queen’ was having none of that and demanded some kind of texture added to it. I ended up stamping a wood grain stamp on it using Iced Spruce Distress Oxide ink. The exact one I used isn’t available in the store, but you could use this Concord & 9th one instead. If you didn’t want to stamp on it, you could use a birch embossing folder (I also like this Plaid one)or even make it super easy for yourself and use either a cover plate, patterned paper, vellum or a stencil. There are so many options available!

To finish off the card, I added foam tape to the back of it, adhered the Viking image and slapped the whole thing on a white card base. On a slim strip of card stock I stamped ‘I miss your warm and cozy hugs’ from Let’s Get Cozy in black ink. And although this is a masculine card, I added a small heart shape cut out of vellum behind the sentiment strip to keep it to the sketch as close as possible.



I nearly added more enamel dots to the card but managed to resist the urge. I’m getting better at saying no to my ICDQ (Inner Craft Drama Queen) who wants all the sequins and all the dots, all the time!

That’s it from me for today, have a great week and happy crafting! Lots of love from Erica






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel