Skip to main content

Guest Designer Sunday with Megan Hoeppner

Hello and good morning!

Today, we are introducing a new Guest Designer for March! You may have heard of her...her name is Megan Hoeppner! Yeah - SUPER excited! Be sure to head over to her website where you'll become even more familiar with her and her AMAZING work! I still have to pinch myself that she's with us this month!

___________________________________________



Who am I kidding? I use my holiday-themed products well past December because I’m still working on my holiday scrapbooking. But this is a way to take those beautiful lines and stretch them to work with everyday projects as well. Specifically, I’ll be focusing on the Wish Season collection, designed by Kim Watson for Fancy Pants Designs.


ABOUT ME


But, first, a little intro. My name is Megan Hoeppner. I spend most of my time with my two young daughters, Maggie (3yo) and Lulu (6 mo). Professionally, I’m the editor-in-chief of Scrapbook & Cards Today magazine. It’s a great position, as it lets me work from home so I can be there for my kids first—such a blessing! I’ve worked in scrapbooking/crafting for 13 years now, including a PR position with Stampin’ Up! and various editorial roles at Paper Crafts,Simple Scrapbooks, and Creating Keepsakes magazines. In addition to my magazine work, I teach for Annie’s Online Classes, Big Picture Classes, CreativeLive, and Creating Keepsakes Events. On the design side, I have a collection with Webster’s Pages (These are the Days), which I created to work for my various passions—scrapbooking, creative planning, card making, and pocket scrapbooking. I also have a planner with Webster’s, which I love! For more, I invite you to visit my website at www.MeganHoeppner.com Thanks for your interest! <3 Now, let’s get back to it… 


PHOTO TRICKS
The idea for my layout came about when I happened upon this photo of my older daughter, taken when she was my younger daughter’s current age.
People have always told me my girls could be twins, but I’ve never seen it. Since my Lulu is now wearing Maggie’s old clothes, I decided a little side-by-side would be fun.

To create this pic collage, I simply used PicStitch, which is an app on my phone. 
I then opened the image in a second app, Rhonna Designs, and added the text along the bottom of the image using the Lulu font (how appropriate, right? lol). 


TAG TIME
It’s not intentional, but I seem to use a tag on just about every layout I make right now. Here’s a hot tip. You can buy a box of 500 tags from Office Depot/OfficeMax for only $15. 500 tags?! I know, it seems like a lot, but I promise it’s so easy to go through them quickly. I’m on my second box already. (Eeep!) You can also order a box of 1,000 from Amazon for only $27. Grab a friend and get in on this action. ;) 


Wanting to create a tag for my layout using my favorite sheet in the collection, I used one of my shipping tags as a template and cut the tag out. I then added a hole reinforcement sticker from Heidi Swapp around the hole to give it a more finished, “real” look. 


I then took the “six” tag from the Wish Season Countdown Labels to create my next tag, adding a Hole Reinforcement Sticker to it, too. 


This same bundle of tag business includes a bunch of plain white, bitty tags. I added a “6 months” sticker from Crate Paper to one of these and layered my tag trio together to create a page accent.




LAYOUT 
How do you go about designing a page? (I’d LOVE to hear how you do it!) For me, it’s a combination of a few things:

  1. Looking at layouts I like, both ones I’ve designed and pages designed by others, and deciding what it is that draws me to the page. 
  2. Pulling a few supplies that coordinate with my photo and story. 
  3. Playing with positioning. This is the part that takes the most time for me. I move things around again and again before they find their final home. Here’s my page at one such stage in its development: 
Since the Wish Season die cut letters] in my title are so big, I knew I needed to find them a home first. 


I originally left the strip across the 6x6 sheet of paper, thinking I’d add a paperclip or something to it. (That idea never came to be.) But I still left it, as I liked the way the white balanced the white in the letters. From here, I felt the page needed a bit more depth, so I added some 3D accents, including the clip [LINK] and enamel shapes from my These are the Days collection.



I also added some pen detailing, including hand-written journaling and a few lines to act as a frame.


Also, I wanted to give it something more at the base, so I added a patterned paper mat (the same patterned used on the 6x6 sheet beneath my photo, but in 12x12 size). I then looked for places where I could create repeating trios frame the page. I did so with the pink patches (tag, balloons, and caption stickers), as well as the wood grain (tab, ampersand, and wood veneer heart). 


When all was said and done, I was delighted I was able to use my Christmas paper and accents on an everyday design. I love looking at my girls in this side-by-side way. While there are definite similarities, I still don’t see the “twin” aspect. Do you? Maybe I’m too close to them to see it…if that makes any sense at all. At any rate, they’re a couple of cuties, and I feel so blessed to be there mother!


Thanks for joining me today! I hope some aspect of this project leaves you inspired to create. Enjoy your creative journey! 

Cheers!
Megan Hoeppner

Mags & Lulu by Megan Hoeppner
Supplies: CARDSTOCK, PATTERNED PAPER, DIE CUTS, TAGS: Fancy Pants Designs; STICKER: Crate Paper, Fancy Pants Designs; DECORATIVE PAPERCLIP, ENAMEL SHAPES: Webster’s Pages; HOLE REINFORCEMENT STICKERS: Heidi Swapp; WOOD VENEER HEART: Cosmo Cricket; PEN: Sakura; ADHESIVE: Therm O Web

SHOP LINKS







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel