Skip to main content

A Joyful New Year!

Good morning! Emily Midgett here with you today to help say goodbye to 2016! What a year it has been...

But, let's move on to the cards. I have two for you today: one more traditional winter, New Year's card, and one that uses the super cute and clever Hashtag stamp set that our very own Vanessa designed. Let's get started on the details!


For my first project, I wanted to create kind of an Aurora Borealis background, one that was icy and ethereal. I used my Tim Holtz Blending Tool and Hero Arts's Mint Julep, Soft Lilac, and Soft Pool inks to blend a cool background on some inexpensive watercolor paper. (I prefer the watercolor paper, because the colors seem to blend together more seamlessly since the color doesn't seep into the paper immediately.) In order to keep the mint and lilac colors from blending together and creating a brown-ish mush, I used the pool as the common denominator to kind of create a buffer between the two colors. The next step was to die cut some of the Lawn Fawn Stitched Snowflakes from silver glitter paper and adhere them to the background. 


The greeting is from a newer set from Honey Bee Stamps: Merry and Joy and the coordinating word dies. (Isn't the font in that set just dreamy?!?) I stamped the "wishing you a" and "New Year" onto some pale minty cardstock strips, then die cut the "joyful" from some pretty grape card stock three times to add dimension. I adhered all of the die cuts together and onto the card front, then added the rest of the greeting with dimensional adhesive. The last step was to add some pretty sequins from my stash to complete the sparkly, icy look.  


My last card today uses the super cutie You're Rawr-some stamps and dies from MFT combined with the Butterfly Reflections Ink #Hashtag set to create a sassy but adorable card. I started with a plain white A2 card base and blended Peach Perfect, Blush, and Arctic inks from Altenew using the Clarity Stencil Brushes to create a nice, soft prehistoric sky background. I then stamped and die cut my T-rex and plants using black waterproof ink and some nice watercolor paper, which I then colored with my Zig markers and a wet paintbrush. To ground the dino a little, I die cut a hilly terra firma using some Kraft card stock and the Avery Elle Dotted Border dies. I popped both the ground and the dino up with dimensional adhesive, then stamped "Short arms, warm heart" from the You're Rawr-some stamp set and "#thestruggleisreal" from the #Hashtag set to create a cute, sassy sentiment. That #Hashtag set is full of cute little hashtags that would be adorable with so many sentiments just to give them a little added giggle. 

Well, that's all for me today! I'm so happy that Vanessa likes me enough to let me come back... I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, complete with fabulous (and SAFE) New Year's Eve celebrations and a prosperous, creative 2017!! Cheers to the New Year! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel