Skip to main content

Galaxy Background Shaker!

Hi all!  Welcome back!  Today marks my official last post for this term for the Butterfly Reflection Ink DT!  It went SO FAST!  4 months flew by, I'll tell ya!  But, I am so happy for the opportunity to design for Vanessa's shop and make some new friends too!

I wanted to go out with a "bang" and create a galaxy background, but step it up and make a shaker card from it as well!

I love creating galaxy backgrounds, and they really have grown in popularity!  I have created them in the past using distress inks, and my ink blending tool, but I decided to step out of my comfort zone, and create one using my Gansai Tambi watercolor set.  These are high quality watercolors, so much so, they intimidate me because they are so pigmented!  But, I still went for it!  You can't tell from the photo, but I added lots of color..red, orange, blue and yellow, and really all that is coming through is the yellow, but that is alright as it turned out looking like a realistic galaxy sky!  There is also  silver and gold metallic colors in this palette, and I added those throughout after I added the black, and it really adds a nice sheen that catches the light!

To really bring my galaxy to life, I added some stars by adding some white paint to an acrylic block and watered it down slightly, then flicked on the paint to create the splattered starry effect!   I set my panel aside to completely dry, and once it was, I moved on to create the rest of my card.


I die cut my watercolor piece with the largest Scalloped Rectangle die from Lawn Fawn, and I also used the Square Peek A Boo Die-namics die from MFT to create a window that we will turn into a shaker element.  First, I worked on my sentiment which combines two stamp sets.  The "you are a rare find" come from the You Are Here set from Concord and 9th and the "friend" come from the  Best Ever Greetings set from The Stamp Market.  I stamped the first half in black Versafine ink and the second half, I heat embossed it in Gold.  I did all of my stamping onto my white card base.  

I added some clear acetate to my window and added some foam adhesive on the back of my galaxy panel.  Then I added some Mini Iridescent Star Confetti as my shaker bits onto my card base, carefully removed the paper backings on my foam adhesive and adhered my panel to my card base.


As a final touch, I added some of that star confetti here and there all over the front of my card, and when it tilt the card, that confetti catches the light just right.  Love how this one came out!

Well, that's it!  Thank you all for commenting along the way on all of my projects this term, and thank you again Vanessa for the opportunity to design for your shop!!  I hope to share with you all here on the blog when spots need a fill in :)  Have a great week!
Kari









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel