Skip to main content

MFT Stamps Happy Bird-Day

Good morning, everyone, Amy Copeland here today with a colorful birthday card featuring stamps from My Favorite Things.  I started my card by coloring in the cute bird image from the Toucan Do It stamp set.  I stamped it with Jet Black ink from Lawn Fawn onto smooth white cardstock and colored it in with Copic Markers.  I used the Coordinading Toucan Do It dies to cut out the bird.  As per usual, I added some finishing details with my Wink of Stella clear glitter brush pen and Glossy Accents.  I also used my new black Glaze Pen on the eye to give it a shiny, glossy black finish.  I had one of these in the past, but it must have dried out and it never worked right.  I was thrilled to get this new one and have it work right out of the gate.  :)



Next, I got to work on my background panel.  I used my MISTI to stamp the triangle-pattern stamp onto smooth, Bristol cardstock, first with Squeezed Lemonade Distress Oxide ink.  I then used my Lawn Fawn Stamp Shammy to clean the stamp really well and left it in the MISTI in the exact same position as before.  I then used Carved Pumpkin Distress Oxide and lightly tapped it onto the stamp in an angled position, so I didn't get complete coverage on the stamp (sort of like the rock-and-roll technique).  This is where the MISTI comes in really handy--I was able to stamp directly down onto the original stamped impression to give it a two-tone effect.  I then cleaned the stamp again really well with the Stamp Shammy and rotated it the opposite way, lined it up on my card panel where I wanted it to go, and repeated these steps using Faded Jeans and Broken China Distress Oxides.  The pink row was done with Abandoned Coral and Candied Apple Distress Oxides.  I repeated these steps, alternating colors in each row, until the bottom half of my panel was covered with the triangle pattern.


Once my card panel was stamped, I used a stitched rectangle die to cut out the panel.  These and these are great options.  In order to give the top of my card panel a little interest, I used my Mini Ink Blending Tool to lightly blend Salty Ocean Distress Oxide in a centralized circle right about where I was going to adhere the bird.

Next, I got to work on my sentiment.  I took a piece of Lawn Fawn Black Licorice card stock and stamped the sentiment with VersaMark ink.  I coated the clear, sticky ink with Lawn Fawn's White Embossing Powder and used my Heat Tool to set it until it was smooth and melted.  I trimmed the sentiment down with my paper trimmer into a strip and glued it down with Mono Multi liquid glue.  I created my card base out of Lawn Fawn Guava cardstock, in a top-folding, A2-size standard card base (4 1/4 x 5 1/2).  I used the same Mono Multi glue to adhere my card panel onto the card base--I have been loving using liquid glue lately for things like this--I used to be a die-hard tape runner girl, but the liquid glue gives you a little more wiggle room to make sure it's absolutely straight before it's firmly adhered.  Just make sure you use a light hand so it doesn't gush out the sides or warp your paper.  :)






Next, I got to work on the leaf.  I used Twisted Citron and Lucky Clover Distress Oxides along with my mini ink blending tool to lightly apply the ink onto a scrap of white cardstock.  Once I was happy with the blend, I used a die in the MFT Stamps Wild Greenery set to cut the leaf out (I couldn't find this exact die set in the store, but this Tropical Foliage die set by Hello Bluebird is a pretty close dupe).




Finally, I adhered the rest of the elements to the card.  I used Mini Glue Dots for my leaf and the bird.  The final finishing touch was a scattering of May Emerald Green Birthstone Crystals by Studio Katia.  There is a mix of three different finishes in the beautiful emerald green color--there's an opaque one, an iridescent one, and a transparent one.  I used the opaque and iridescent jewels on this particular card.  Thanks for joining me today for this fun "bird-day" card--hope you enjoyed it and that it inspires you to create your own.  See you next week! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel