Skip to main content

Wrapped Up In A Good Book

Happy Monday everyone! It's Amanda here, and I hope you all are having a wonderful start to your week! Today I wanted to share something slightly different from my usual cardmaking. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE making cards, but it's so easy to forget that there are other things you can make with paper crafting. As Halloween and Fall scenes swirled through my head, I found myself reminiscing on the simple bookmarks I used to create. Since those bookmark making days, I've collected many stamps and supplies my past self never dreamed of having. It was time to take another crack at it!


Wrapped Up In A Good Book
 This first bookmark was so much fun to make. Not only was it fun, but it was very stress relieving. Most of the time when I'm paper crafting the goal is to have a neat and tidy end product. For this I wanted it to have an old, rustic feel to it. To start out, I took a long strip of paper and crumbled it up like it was a piece of trash. The goal was to make it as crinkly as possible! After smoothing the crinkled paper as flat as I could, I took my Distress Ink Antique Linen pad and applied it straight to the paper. I also used Distress Ink Vintage Photo, applied the same way but only to the outer edges. After inking the paper, I sprayed a good amount of water on it to let the inks activate.  While the paper was wet, I carefully roughed the edges up with a pair of scissors and set it aside to dry. The mummy I used was from the stamp set Costume Party, but to make him look more authentic I used a micronpen and turned his face into a skull. The other Lawn Fawn stamp sets I used for this were Happy Haunting, Claire's ABC's, and Ahoy, Matey!

Reading Is Out Of This World
 To create this space-themed bookmark, I stamped images out from Lawn Fawn sets Out Of This World and Beam Me Up. I also stamped my sentiment out using Claire's ABC's and Out Of This World with Distress Oxide Mowed Lawn. For the background, I used Distress Ink colors Black Soot and Faded Jeans blended with my Picket Fence Studios Brushes. To make my stars, I started by spritzing some plain water to the inked surface, and again a second time with a little bit of white paint. While that was drying, I cut out a circle with Die Cut Large Dotted Circle Stackables (second to the biggest size) on a strip of paper the same width as the bookmark. After being inked with Pumice Stone, this becomes the moon the astronaut is standing on.  I adhered the moon onto the bookmark face with my tape runner.

Books ARRRRGH Awesome
 This bookmark was very similar to the first one to start out. Again, I started with a strip of paper and crumpled it up. But this time I decided to go back to my normal inking methods and used blending tools for the background. I used Distress Ink colors Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, and Antique Linen blending the darkest color on the edges to the lightest color in the center. The intention behind this bookmark was to make it look and feel like a treasure map! After saturating the inked paper with water, I used my hands to rough up the edges a bit. I liked this method better than using scissors. It was harder to be careful because it ripped easier, but I thought the effect looked more genuine. I made sure to let this dry overnight. The images for this scene were stamped from Ahoy, Matey and colored with alcohol markers. I also used Claire's ABC's to create part of the sentiment stamped in Distress Ink Barn Door.



Batty For Books
 Lastly, we have a simple little haunting scene using images from the set Happy Haunting accompanied by Claire's ABC's for the sentiment. To create the spooky sky, I used Distress Oxide Tumbled Glass to start inking in a circle where the moon would be. To create the moon glow, I continued this process using Distress Oxide Mermaid Lagoon, Faded Jeans, and Black Soot. I did this a few times over until I was happy with the outcome. To create the stars, I repeated the same steps as I used for the space-themed bookmark. As that dried, I used Die Cut Stitched Hillside Border on a piece of black card stock the same width as the bookmark. I adhered the hill to the scene with a tape runner.



 For all of these little scenes, I used my Lawn Fawn Glue Tube to attach the stamped images. I also ended up bordering each bookmark with either black cardstock or kraft paper to add some dimension. All of the images I colored were stamped using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink. You can find all of these crafting supplies AND MORE at the Butterfly Reflections Ink shop! I had such a blast making these fun reading accessories. I plan to step out of my cardmaking box more often in the future. I hope you all are inspired to do something you haven't done in a while or to try something new! I'll be back soon with a new creation, but in the meantime, you can find all of my projects @CaveWomanCreations on Instagram! Have a wonderful week!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel