Skip to main content

Aim for the Clouds

 Hello, everyone! Allison here, and I am back today with a fun take on a shaker card. It’s called an “infinity” shaker card. That’s what I’ve seen it called in several places, anyway, so we’re going to stick with it! The fun thing about an infinity shaker card, aside from its name, is that it makes your entire card panel into a shaker. It’s also super easy and quick to make. I used a fun assortment of goodies from MFT for this card, all of which can be found in the Butterfly Reflections, Ink store.

I started today’s card with this incredibly adorable dragon from the Magical Friends set. I want to be that girl flying in the air, don’t you? I stamped it with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink since I was going to use my Copic markers. There are so many fun color combinations for this dragon, but I went with my favorite color, turquoise. And the purple is for my son because he says I never use purple on cards. This is actually the second purple dragon I've made this week - did I mention he loves dragons, too?

 

I knew I wanted a fun background for this infinity shaker, especially since the entire panel was going to show. I decided to do one of my favorite techniques – shimmer powder on an embossed background. I dug through my collection of background stamps and decided to use the Chevron Grid background. I white heat embossed the stamp onto watercolor paper. Clear embossing powder would also work. I then selected Nuvo Shimmer Powders in Atlantis Burst and Violet Brocade to coordinate with the dragon. I sprinkled a tiny bit of each color onto the paper, sprayed it with water, and let the powders do their magic. After letting it air-dry, I took the panel outside to spray with a sealer. 


To assemble the shaker, I first cut my panel down to slightly smaller than 4.25”x5.5”. I then grabbed one of my clear cellophane sleeves that I store finished cards in. By the way, did you know there are sleeves for slimline cards now? I am so excited to get mine! I put my finished panel into the sleeve and pushed it all the way to one corner. I then folded over the excess on the side and adhered it to the back with Scor-Tape. Voila! There are now 3 perfectly sealed sides to the shaker. I poured some fun shaker bits into the top, making sure to only pour in front of the panel. One of my favorite things to use in infinity shakers is Shaved Ice. It’s really cool looking, and it’s very thin. I try to only use flat shaker bits - I don’t want any sharp or dimensional sequins potentially tearing the sleeve. Once it was full to my liking, I just sealed up the top by folding over the cellophane and adhering it to the back with more Scor-Tape. After that, it’s just a matter of gluing or taping the shaker panel to the front of a standard A2 card base. Again, I used Scor-Tape to do this – I’m a big fan of that tape, if you haven't noticed! I also intentionally left a bit of the white card base showing in order to create a thin "frame" around the panel.


Now we're ready for the finishing touches. I cut out the dragon with the matching die. I also cut out a couple dragons using plain white cardstock to stack behind the colored one. I used the appropriately named Cute Cloud Outlines dies to cut my clouds, and then I black heat-embossed the sentiment onto the largest cloud. The sentiment comes from the Aim for the Clouds stamp set, which is on sale right now in the store! I glued everything down to the panel, being careful to not have excess glue that would squeeze out onto the cellophane. Finally, I showed it to my son, who immediately proclaimed that I had not used enough purple. Can't win 'em all!


Thanks so much for joining me, and I'll see you next week. Wishing you all a crafty day!


Allison

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Tags featuring the We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool!

Happy Monday! This is Kim Hamilton and I am so very excited to be sharing my first post with you for Butterfly Reflections Ink! This is making my first day back to work after a two-week break a happy one! I am sharing baby gift tags today, one of my friends is expecting and not sure what she is having so I made one of each! I used my  We R Memory Keepers Fuse Tool  for the first time and loved it! I cut my own  Tim Holtz watercolor paper  to the size of tag I wanted (2 3/4 x 4 1/4) and cut the edges with my trimmer.  I stamped my sentiments that are by  Lawn Fawn Hello Baby  with VersaMark ink and used white embossing powder. For the girl tag I used a mix of Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry and Abandoned Coral  Distress Inks  and for the boy tag I used Peacock Feathers, Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron  Distress Inks .  I sprayed both tags with some water and dabbed it off. I then stamped my images by My Favorite Things  Snuggle Bunnies  for the girl and Magical Dragons for th

Painting backwards....

Hello, hello!  Norine here from The Velvet Lemon blog .  It's been a week for introductions hasn't it, but let me just say how delighted I am to have been invited to join such a talented group of paper crafters, and to contribute here at Butterfly Reflections Ink!   Today I'm sharing with you, some cards I made by working backwards.  What do I mean, you wonder?  Well, it's a technique I sometimes enjoy doing, where you "smoosh" your water based ink pads on a craft mat, mist the colors with water and then drag your water color paper through it to create a pretty mess of color.     For today's cards, I wanted a blend of blues and greens (always a crowd pleaser) and yellows/pinks.  You will always be happier with the results when you keep the green/blues from overlapping with the yellow/pinks, because that just produces an unappealing mud color.   I used a variety of Tim Holtz Distress Inks for this project, but any water based inks w

Altenew’s 4th Anniversary Blog Hop Day 3 + Giveaway

Hey, hey BRI friends!  We're hopping today to celebrate the 4th Birthday of Altenew , one of our favorite stamping companies!  You should have arrived here from the Altenew blog , and we're glad you're here to share the excitement! There are prizes and inspiration and it's going to be FUN! With you today, is Norine from The Velvet Lemon  creating for Butterfly Reflections Ink  and I have some projects to share today, that I made using some recently released Altenew products .   First up, are these two cards created with the Mega Succulent stamp set .   I stamped the image onto water color paper using the MISTI , then turned on the music and sat and colored.   I used Faber Castell watercolor pencils so I could more easily control where the color would sit and then painted with a water brush .  I stamped the sentiment onto a piece of vellum, heat embossed with clear embossing powder to ensure that the ink wouldn't smudge, then tore the vel